Want to make a real difference? You couldn’t be in better company.
An exciting PVLE Dentist opportunity within the Brighter Dental team of Smile Together Dental CIC to support our continuing business growth and development.
Reporting to the Brighter Dental Area Manager, this position will suit someone who is looking to be mentored onto the NHS Performer List and who would be interested in living in a beautiful part of the country and working in our brand-new, purpose-designed, accessible dental centre at Harleigh Road in Bodmin, Cornwall.
Responsibilities will include working as part of the practice team to ensure our patients are well looked after and we continue to deliver the highest levels of patient care.
It’s never been a more exciting time to join us – we’re having a major impact in the South West and we’re different!
Covering Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, Smile Together is one of the South West’s largest NHS referral and emergency primary dental care providers. We own and operate dedicated expert practices under the name of West Country Dental Care, deliver competitively priced private dentistry under our Brighter Dental brand and own a specialist dental laboratory DPS (Dental Prosthetic Solutions).
An award-winning, forward thinking and innovative company, we function as an employee-owned community interest company and social enterprise with clear rules about reinvesting our profit back into the communities in which we serve. Our Brighter Smiles campaign brings practical toothbrushing clubs, fluoride varnishing and oral health education to children and their families in areas of high decay across Cornish communities, and we reach even deeper into our communities with outreach activities such as Smiles at Sea.
We’re a committed and friendly team that puts our people and patients first - join us in providing a valued dental service in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
Please send in your current CV with a covering letter outlining why you’d be a great appointment for us to email@example.com
This is a full time position with flexible working also available, including the option to work at weekends.
The post holder will deliver both NHS and Private dentistry for patients attending on our growing patient list, including those who attend under our patient plan scheme.
The post holder will:
- Work as part of the whole dental team under the supervision of an approved mentor to assist in the provision and delivery of dental care services to patients.
- Ensure that all activities undertaken at the practice are in line with GDC guidelines and Brighter Dental policies and procedures.
- Be flexible with duties to ensure the smooth running of the practice and take ownership of tasks to ensure these are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Actively engage with Smile Together teams and participate in audit activities, planning and development sessions, and in-house meetings etc
- Be responsible for safe working and practice on a day-to-day basis in sites of clinical activity, ensuring compliance with clinical governance and legislation, appropriate health, safety and security procedures within the work area, and report accidents, incidents and near misses using the Smile Together incident reporting procedure
- Participate in appropriate community dental and oral health promotion activities – for an example see more about our Smiles at Sea initiative at https://smiletogether.co.uk/smilesatsea/
- Undertake other reasonable duties as requested by the Area Manager and Smile Together Management Team
- Experience of clinical audits
- Considerable knowledge and experience of clinical governance
- Experience of a wide range of dental procedures acquired through training and clinical experience
- Good IT skills (we use the Dentally Practice Management System)
- Trained to recognise and respond to medical emergencies (ie. Immediate Life Support techniques)
- Maintaining and developing your clinical competency and continuing professional/personal development according to agreed training needs via our Smile Together Training Academy
- Working alongside clinical and professional support colleagues in facilitating on-going organisational change and development
- Working in our practice in Bodmin
This post requires Occupational Health clearances, DBS clearance and two satisfactory references prior to start date, with all interview and appointment expenses covered including travel and DBS check.
- It is expected that the post holder will be familiar with NHS dental services regulations and will be willing to receive appropriate on-going training and professional/personal development
- The work is primarily clinic based and will include use of computer and telephony equipment
- The work may include occasional light lifting duties such as stationery boxes, files, dental consumables or other deliveries.
- There will be occasions when travel to work in other locations will be required, with paid business mileage
- Cornwall has a largely rural population of over 530,000 – about half of these people are unable to access a General Dental Practitioner
- There are about 200 General Dental Practitioners in the county
- Smile Together operates as an employee-owned community interest company from a number of locations across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, employing around 30 full and part-time dentists
- Our 100-plus team comprises dentists, dental therapists, dental nurses, dental lab technicians and professional support colleagues
- Smile Together is proud to have won a number of accolades including Highly Commended in the Social Enterprise UK Awards 2018, Employer of the Year in the Cornwall Business Awards 2017, Dental Nurse of the Year in The Dental Awards 2017, Highly Commended in the Employee Ownership Awards 2017 for Positive Impact of the Year and runner-up in the Schülke ‘Infection Prevention and Control Awards 2017’ - see more at https://smiletogether.co.uk/our-achievements/
Our package includes:
- UDA target – TBC, which is to be paid @ £12.00 per UDA
- Private treatments to patients (including Patient Plan) and there will be agreed targets in place with a rolling % depending on delivery from 45% to 50% where targets are achieved
- Deductions would include NHS pension contributions, lab bills (charged at 50%), contribution to non-standard requested materials (charged at 50%) and mentorship fees.
- Flexible working to accommodate child or other caring responsibilities
- A friendly support network with an induction colleague assigned to assist your transition to our company
- Access to reliable equipment including digital x-rays
- Outstanding work life balance in a beautiful part of the country
Equality and Diversity:
The post holder is required to abide by the organisation’s policies and procedures and to actively support the company’s commitment to equality and diversity in both employment and the delivery of services. All patients, colleagues and visitors must be treated equitably, with dignity and respect, taking into account their race, gender, ethnic origin, age, disability, sexuality etc.
This job description is not exhaustive and may change as the post develops, but such change will not take place without consultation between the post holder and his/her manager. Job descriptions should be reviewed at least annually at the appraisal meeting.
In support of your application, please evidence your skills and experience against the following criteria, giving specific examples