For more information about this exciting opportunity, please see our Role Prospectus.
Smile Together Dental CIC is a successful employee-owned Cornish social enterprise where we often do things differently and our unique and varied Employed Dentist roles are no exception. An opportunity to shape and develop your dental career alongside urgent care provision, whether that’s in minor oral surgery, orthodontics, GDP, special care or paediatrics – you choose!
These rewarding opportunities require experience, dedication and flexibility alongside a passionate commitment to patient care, innovation and continuous service improvement.
It’s never been a more exciting time to join us – we’re having a major impact in the South West and we’re different!
Our package includes:
- Salary up to £58,000 per annum depending on experience (pro rata if not working full time and our standard full time contract is 37.5 hours per week excluding breaks)
- Paid indemnity and GDC registration (pro rata)
- 27 days paid annual leave plus bank holidays each year (pro rata)
- Access to NHS pension
- Personal relocation support and package of up to £8,000* (where appropriate)
- A dedicated training package, both clinical to maintain your CPD and wider professional development via our Smile Together Training Academy
- A friendly support network with an induction colleague assigned to assist your transition to our company
- 100% laboratory fees paid
- Access to reliable equipment including digital x-rays
- Free uniforms/scrubs, PPE and an annual flu jab alongside a range of health and wellbeing support and resources
- Workforce benefits package
- Outstanding work life balance in a beautiful part of the country
- Opportunity to participate in community dental and oral health promotion activities* – for example, see more about our Smiles at Sea initiative at https://smiletogether.co.uk/smilesatsea/
- Opportunity to become a shareholder* and have a genuine voice in our employee-owned business
We’re a committed and friendly team that puts our people and patients first – join us in providing a valued dental service in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Delivering our much-valued ‘safety net’ dental service that we’re commissioned by NHS England to deliver in Cornwall, specifically urgent dental care for patients (both children and adults) unable to access a General Dental Practitioner, and for visitors to the county requiring emergency care
- Telephone triaging patients as the first step towards treatment for those who need us most in our Urgent Dental Care Hubs
- Identifying and treating those patients most in need of follow up emergency care, supporting impact case studies
- Balancing your urgent dental care commitments with the delivery of dentistry for NHS and private patients, including those on referral pathways, depending upon your skill set and preferred career focus
- Actively engaging with Smile Together teams and participating in audit activities, planning and development sessions, and in-house meetings etc
- Being responsible for safe working and practice on a day-to-day basis in sites of clinical activity, ensuring compliance with clinical governance and legislation, appropriate health, safety and security procedures within the work area, and report accidents, incidents and near misses using the Smile Together incident reporting procedure
- Undertaking other reasonable duties as requested by the Dental and Clinical Directors and Smile Together Management Team
- Treating target numbers of patients
- Maintaining and developing your clinical competency and continuing professional/personal development according to agreed training needs via our Smile Together Training Academy and Perform (appraisal and review system)
- Working alongside clinical and professional support colleagues in service improvement and facilitating ongoing organisational change and development
- Working in designated clinics/practices across Cornwall as required
This post requires full GDC registration and an NHS Performer Number, Occupational Health clearances, DBS clearance and two satisfactory references prior to start date, with all interview and appointment expenses covered including travel and DBS check.
Knowledge, Education, Training and Skills: (please see Person Specification)
- It is expected that the post holder will be willing to receive appropriate ongoing training and professional/personal development
- The work is primarily clinic/practice based and will include use of computer and telephony equipment
- The work may include occasional light lifting duties such as stationery boxes, files, dental consumables or other deliveries
- There will be occasions when travel to work in other locations will be required, with paid business mileage
- Patients or their carers and companions may on occasion challenge team members with inappropriate behaviour, particularly if they are anxious or in pain
- Cornwall has a largely rural population of over 560,000 – about half of these people are unable to access a General Dental Practitioner
- There are about 200 General Dental Practitioners in the county
- Smile Together operates as an employee-owned community interest company from a number of locations across Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, employing around 30 full and part-time dentists
- Our 100-plus team comprises dentists, dental therapists, dental nurses and professional support colleagues
- Smile Together is proud to have won a number of accolades including in The Dental Awards 2019, Social Enterprise UK Awards 2018, Cornwall Business Awards 2017, Employee Ownership Awards 2017 and Schülke ‘Infection Prevention and Control Awards 2017’ - see more at https://smiletogether.co.uk/our-achievements/
Equality and Diversity:
The post holder is required to abide by the organisation’s policies and procedures and to actively support the company’s commitment to equality and diversity in both employment and the delivery of services. All patients, colleagues and visitors must be treated equitably, with dignity and respect, taking into account their race, gender, ethnic origin, age, disability, sexuality etc.
This job description is not exhaustive and may change as the post develops, but such change will not take place without consultation between the post holder and his/her manager. Job descriptions should be reviewed at least annually at the appraisal meeting.
In support of your application, please evidence your skills and experience against the following criteria, giving specific examples
For more information please visit: https://smiletogether.co.uk/careers-portal/