Harleigh Road, Bodmin – brand new purpose-designed and fully accessible dental centre for our community in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly
Pop along to our Community Open Day on Saturday 18th May 2019 any time from 11am – 3pm to see what an amazing transformation has taken place in this wonderful building, meet our team and find out more about the dental services we provide here in Cornwall. No need to pre-book – we’ll be taking small groups on guided tours throughout the day so please feel free to bring along anyone who you think might also like to come. More information click here
When we launched in 2016 as an employee-owned dental social enterprise and community interest company, one of the things our team felt passionately about was enhancing our clinical environments and treatment options for patients – to improve our community dental services, to exceed patient expectations and enable everyone to deliver above and beyond what we’re commissioned and contracted to do. Underpinning our mission of delivering ‘dentistry with social impact’.
We therefore purchased the wonderful former grammar school on Harleigh Road in Bodmin, with a view to transforming it into a brand new, purpose-built dental centre for our community and set about securing agreement to proceed with our plans.
We commissioned PFA Research, a reputable independent market research company based in Cornwall, to consult with our emergency and special care patient groups:
- Their emergency care on-line survey, conducted over a six-week period in 2017, generated nearly 1,100 responses – the key issue identified was the length of travel time to reach an appointment but 63% of patients surveyed were comfortable with travelling 30-60 minutes or more, thus supporting our proposed new location
- Their special care telephone survey targeted 274 individuals representing 448 patients (the number of retained special care patients in North East Cornwall) and reached 96 people. 98% of those respondents encountered at least one type of challenge when going to the dentist – most commonly relating to toilet and parking facilities, reception and waiting areas, lack of recovery or quiet space and additional treatment options on site. Their lowest priority issue was travel time, and overall 60% of patients and carers felt that a new dental facility would address their needs
So not only were our patients supportive of our plans, but NHS England backed us to the hilt, granting formal approval to proceed in September 2018. We also secured £1m investment from Big Issue Invest – read more about this here
Our shared vision for the building is to enhance dental services and quality of provision, delivering an outstanding patient experience. We will have:
- Easy, accessible parking for our patients right outside the main entrance including spacious disabled parking bays with a disabled access ramp and plenty of extra space for manoeuvring even the largest wheelchairs.
- A dedicated reception area with specially trained receptionists to meet and greet our patients and anyone accompanying them. They will offer patients all the help and support required both before and after treatment, with discrete and comfortable areas close by for those patients who need privacy or are unable to manage with a more open environment.
- For our special care patients with more complex requirements, and who are unable to mix with our other patients, the choice to enter our centre through a dedicated access point – special care purposefully-designed into this caring environment.
- All the up-to-date dental equipment you would expect in a specially designed dental centre including the only bariatric chair in Cornwall, allowing patients who have limitations in health and social care due to physical size, health, mobility and environmental access to be safely treated on the same dental chair as all other patients. This dual-purpose dental chair also doubles as a wheelchair tipper for those patients who are unable to transfer into a routine dental chair, and it can accommodate any larger than average wheelchairs:
- Full accessibility to all wheelchair users, even having a wider access door into the surgery containing the bariatric chair and wheelchair tipper.
- A dedicated recovery area for patients who have received dental treatment with sedation.
- A ‘Changing Places’ bathroom – an equally important addition to our dental centre for our special care and looked-after patients.
- An interior decor and environment which has been professionally designed to create a calm, stress-free environment for patients to relax before seeing the dentist, including a children’s waiting area with play area.
- Each of our new surgeries designed for the comfort of our patients and our clinical teams. In each surgery there will be brand new equipment including an intra Oral X-ray and Vista Scanner for taking x-rays for diagnostic purposes and a dedicated x-ray room for taking OPG’s. Our X-ray screens will feature RD50 X-ray glass which offers a minimum of 1.80mmPb protection.
- An on-site, up to date decontamination facility for sterilisation and decontamination of our dental instruments and equipment, with dedicated decontamination technicians and an in-house courier service.
Everyone agreed the importance of maintaining the beautiful aesthetics of the building and noting its history. Therefore, the large traditional windows have been retained allowing natural light to flow into each surgery and the building as a whole. As the refurbishment progresses and we find things of notable value, these have been retained for the future.
Recognising the health and wellbeing of our own people is an important factor in the delivery of an excellent dental service for our community, Harleigh Road has dedicated, specially designed quiet areas for our teams to relax before and after work and at lunch times, both inside and outside the building, which is itself located in an attractive part of Bodmin, not far from the town centre.
We are fortunate in having an in-house Systems Support team who work closely with our external IT provider ITEC in maintaining our IT network which includes a Patient Management System (Dentally). In Harleigh Road we will also have ipads for signing in patients and helping nurses to chart treatment plans, supporting our intended transformation to a more paper-free environment. ITEC are also a generous supporter of our Brighter Smiles campaign.
Brady Construction, a Cornwall-based family building firm, was commissioned and began work on the Harleigh Road site in September 2018 – as part of their contract they also committed to become a significant supporter of Brighter Smiles, our oral health campaign. Together we are aiming for project completion at Harleigh Road in Spring 2019.
Ultimately Harleigh Road will be a development for us all to be proud of – it certainly underpins our vision of creating happier healthier communities.
Images for illustration purposes only